Sure, we don’t know when they can be signed. Hell, we don’t know if there will be football. But we wouldn’t be much of a blog if we didn’t list a few of our undrafted faves.
1. NOEL DEVINE, RB, WEST VIRGINIA – We might spend a nice wad of cash bringing Darren Sproles to town via free agency. The bargain hunter in me says sign this small wonder instead. There are guys with quicks. There are guys with speed. The guys with both can take it to the house with regularity. Devine is one of those rare talents, and our backfield picture could use a 3rd down Jedi to team with Daniel Thomas. Not to mention our nap-inducing return game could probably use the kid too.
2. DERRICK LOCKE, RB, KENTUCKY – Locke would be the consolation prize if Devine goes elsewhere. He’s another track guy with great hands. He put up insane yardage totals against the talent-rich SEC. Only 190lbs, but would be a strong candidate for 3rd down work and returns.
3. JOSH PORTIS, QB, CALIFORNIA, PA – The small school signal caller had big school talent, but made a couple of poor decisions, cheating on a test and using a stolen credit card (nothing Bill Belichick doesn’t do on a regular basis). He played QB while in grad school, running up a great stat line against inferior competition. Still, the comparison is to the Vikings’ Joe Webb. A freakish athlete who Miami worked out prior to the draft, Portis could be a prime candidate to develop for the future, and maybe use in some Wildcat formations in the short term.
4. RYAN PUGH, OG/C, AUBURN – Pugh was a first team All-SEC center. Short and stout (6’1″, 305lbs), Pugh is a smart player who held his own and then some against the SEC’s best. We wouldn’t bet against him moving to guard and surprising people at the next level. Versatility is a great asset on the o-line, where injuries often cause serious shuffling.
5. MARIO ADDISON, OLB, TROY – What he lacks in experience he makes up for in athleticism. He was a JUCO transfer, who didn’t get to start until his Senior season at Troy. The 6’3, 245lb linebacker has been clocked in the high 4.5s. He could be a gem to throw onto special teams and develop as a pass rusher opposite Wake.
GO DOLPHINS, and feel free to follow us on Twitter @thebottlenose